Thursday, December 16, 2010

Finished Trygon!

Well, that was a journey!

I actually finished it yesterday but didn't have time to post anything up.  I also want to say that by 'finished' I mean it's ready for the tabletop, but I'm going to be finding small errors and correcting them for weeks to come, I'm sure.

Here it is!

Bring on the AV14!

Detail pics and my thoughts after the jump!

Well, I'm pleased with how it turned out.  I think it looks good up close, good across the table, and it's quite lively in its pose and colouring.  I should point out that the red isn't quite as bright as it looks in the picture, and I think it does a nice job of 'popping' while not interfering with the general colour of the army.

I did end up ripping the Rippers (hmm...) off the base before I finished it.  In the end, I just didn't think they added anything to the base and it had enough going on between the rocks, metal, and Space Wolf head.

That's just poetic... in fact... this seems like a good time for a haiku.

The base was fun to do simply because I've never done one that big before.  To flock it I must have used a quarter of my tube of white glue, and then (hobby pro-tip!) since I couldn't dip it in the flock container, I put it on a clean, blank sheet of paper and poured the flock onto it.  After the glue set, I gently shook and tapped the loose flock onto the paper and poured it back into the flock container.  If you're not already doing this paper trick for all your flocking, you should be!

Hive Mind loves to see,
Upon the fields of battle,
Bleeding Space Wolf heads.

All in all, this was a LOT of fun to do and I'm glad I did it!  What a great centrepiece model for Hive Fleet Turbo-Ants!  Although it violates my 'two of everything' principle of army construction, I'm not in a rush to get another Trygon just yet.  I'm hovering a little over 800 points worth of bugs now and I think the next step is Hive Guard and a Tervigon, maybe a few more 'Gants, since that's around the point where I'll actually have an army that can be fielded.

He's turned into the corner, like he's snubbing me.


I'm happy with how the model turned out, and a bit proud of myself.  This is by far the largest model I've attempted, but really now that it's done everything else seems small.  I said to my alluring mistress, "Well, I think I'll knock off something small and easy next to relax after that.  I should probably paint that Dreadnought."

It's all about context.

Anyhow I'm going to leave off with a little group shot so you can see how he fits into the Swarm:

Awww the Warriors look so tiny now!

UP NEXT:

I'll be doing unit reviews, Men With Toy Soldiers style, of Trygons and Termagants (yeah, that's right!).  Anyone have a preference on which you'd like to hear about first?

Also:

I know I used this joke before, but I couldn't resist:

Do or do not.  There is no Trygon.

3 comments:

  1. Looks great mate, really striking colour scheme! I'll be playtesting my 'Nids in the new year which includes 2 Trygons, so i'd like to hear about them first!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, GunGrave!

    I'm a big fan of the colour scheme, partly because I have never seen the same scheme, even with all my snoopin' on the internet.

    And since you're the only vote, Trygon unit review will be up next!

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete