Monday, January 10, 2011

Prepare yourselves for the world's laziest Tervigon conversion... And a status update!

Hello, everyone!

I will remind you again that this is representative of my conversion/painting skills

Just a super-quick post to update on my progress with all the new acquisitions, and I can tell you that my league starts in mid-February, but I'm doing well enough here that I may actually be able to play my first game before then.  I know I haven't been keeping up with my posting, but in my defense, you don't want to hear about me working or see pictures of grey plastic models :)

Also I finally figured out what I'm going to do about Tervigon conversions!

But first, an update of where I'm at:

What I've got done:

I've assembled my Hive Guard and Zoanthropes, but haven't painted anything -- in fact, the last bit of painting I did was the Trygon 'lo these many moons ago.

I've assembled one of my two boxes of Gargoyles, with the other to follow suit soon.  I'm trying to decide on whether it's worth the effort to introduce another colour for the wings on them, we'll see.

I've assembled all the Genestealers I need for my 1500 point League list, but still need to paint two of them and acquire/convert a Broodlord -- ANY suggestions for conversion are welcome.

I've also  put together what I'll be using as a Tervigon.  I bought Green Stuff,  but haven't used it yet, and frankly I'm happy with just what I got out of the Carnifex box plus a large oval base for a Terv, but I have a clever trick up my sleeve.

Look forward to a series of posts on how to make the world's laziest - yet decent looking! - Tervigon conversion from your friends at Men With Toy Soldiers.

What's missing from the list:

Aside from painting everything, which just plain isn't going to happen by the start of the league in mid-Feb, I have a few things to do:

I still need to assemble a box of Gargoyles.  Oh!  Despite my skepticism, I'll be damned if Mercer wasn't right! They CAN give cover to a Hive Tyrant!

I have 13 Termagants to assemble, since I want all 28 ready for games (10 + 18 for the Terv spawning), although 4 of them have a 'higher purpose' that you will learn of shortly.

I need to assemble another Trygon, and I'd love to get him painted up in time, but that's a lofty goal.

A small piece of my soul was consumed to bring you this one, and I don't have much soul to spare.
So that's where I'm at.

Here's what I have planned for the next few days:

1) I'm going to share with you how to make a neat, easy Tervigon that will be a little bit different.

2) I'm going to put up The Great Painting Challenge, where everyone can help me set goals for painting by the time my league starts, and we can all discuss an appropriate reward/punishment scheme for how well I do based on that.

Get excited!


  1. I've never seen someone put a warrior's head on a genestealer for a broodlord, but it would make sense. Back in 3rd edition, we all used them to represent hive nodes on our 'gaunts, so I don't see why it wouldn't fit for a broodlord. Personally, I just used a different head (feeder tendrils) and mounted them on a bigger base for mine.

  2. The Broodlord conversion I've always liked is Moloch:

    It's a lot of reposing and pinning so if your finding yourself pressed for time you maybe have a look at getting the Space Hulk Broodlord of eBay?

    Anyway I'm enjoying reading your progress mate. Keep up the good work!

  3. Told you about the Gargoyles ;)

  4. Keep it up! I'm very interested to see how your termagant spawning goes and if you run out; I think 28 might be a little bit low. Just trying to figure out how many I *really* need =) A relatively easy swap using a warrior head, maybe warrior rending claws would be my recommendation if you want it simple. My tervigons were both purchased on ebay; both are carnifex-based. One has 6 scything talons for legs, the other has 4 and 2 carnifex legs with some spawn nodules greenstuffed on.

  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

  6. Hope this link helps too. It's a very strait forward conversion. Doesn't look too bad neither: